by Lauri Mackey, CHHC, Positivity Podcaster & Speaker for Women, Authoress at Lauri’s Lemonade Stand
Sweet potatoes are one of the most versatile foods known to man, beloved for their flavor and so easy to swap in for other less healthy ingredients — whether cubed, sliced, pureed, mashed, baked, grilled, roasted or sautéed. This vegan recipe gives them the spotlight they deserve, and gives you a great way to quell your Mexican food cravings.
- 2, 15-oz cans Vegan or vegetarian refried beans (pinto or black)
- 1 lb Sweet potatoes, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tbs Avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 2 tsp Taco seasoning, homemade or store-bought
- 12 sm Corn or flour tortillas
- 1 Avocado, peeled, pitted and thinly sliced
- Fine sea salt and ground black pepper
Toppings: chopped white or red onion, chopped fresh cilantro and lime wedges
1. Heat the oven to 425° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl toss sweet potatoes with oil, taco seasoning and a pinch of salt and black pepper until combined.
2. Spread potatoes out on prepared baking sheet in an even layer. Bake 25-35 minutes — flipping once halfway through, until the potatoes are tender and cooked through.
3. (Optional) If you’re not using canned refried beans, you can make a batch of vegan refried beans while the sweet potatoes are in the oven.
4. Fill each tortilla with a scoop of refried beans, sweet potatoes, avocado and any desired toppings. Serve immediately.
Serves 6 (two tacos each) | Prep Time 20 mins