A cup of quinoa provides more than twice the protein and more fiber than white rice. Fill up faster with a smaller portion of this healthier option.
by Bailey Zygutis, Nutritionist, Vitruvian Fitness • Photo by Bailey Zygutis
- 2 tbs Coconut oil
- 1 Yellow onion
- 1 Green pepper
- 1 Large carrot
- 1 bushel Dinosaur kale
- 1 can (14.5 oz) Diced tomatoes (drained)
- 1 cup Textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 1 cup Tri-colored quinoa
- 1 tbs Nutritional yeast
- Pink salt (to taste)
- Black pepper (to taste)
- In a glass bowl, mix TVP with 1 cup boiling water and 1 tsp salt and let sit 1-2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dice yellow onion, green pepper, large carrot.
- Heat pan to medium with coconut oil and add diced veggies.
- Fluff TVP mixture with a fork, adding yeast.
- Cut or dice 2 cups dinosaur kale.
- When veggies in pan are cooked but firm, add quinoa to pan for browning. Cook an additional 5-6 minutes, then add diced tomato (drained) and 2 cups diced kale. Cook until kale wilts, then add TVP mixture and 2 cups water. Let simmer 10-15 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
Serves 4 | Prep Time 35-40 min
More info: www.thevitruvianway.com
Food for Thought
TVP is a great source of vegan protein. In addition to protein, it is also a good source of iron, magnesium and phosphorous.