Your oblique muscles are a crucial component of your core but given their location on each side of your torso it can be tricky to give them the attention they deserve.
Try folding some of these movements into your next session.
1. Sit on the floor with your knees bent and your back at a 45-degree angle.
2. Hold a weight or medicine ball with both hands and rotate your torso from side to side.
1. Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor.
2. Place your hands behind your head and lift your upper body, bringing your right elbow toward your left knee. Repeat on the other side.
1. Lie on your side with your elbow directly beneath your shoulder.
2. Lift your hips, creating a straight line from head to heels. Hold for as long as you can, then switch sides.
1. Lie on your back and lift your legs off the ground.
2. Bring your right knee toward your chest while simultaneously twisting your torso to bring your left elbow toward the right knee. Repeat on the other side in a pedaling motion.
1. Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, holding a weight with both hands.
2. Rotate your torso and lift the weight diagonally across your body, ending above the opposite shoulder.
1. Lie on your back with your legs lifted toward the ceiling.
2. Keeping your legs straight, lower them to one side, then bring them back to the center and lower to the other side.
1. Lie on your side with your legs extended and stacked. Place one hand behind your ear and extend your elbow.
2. Lift your upper body and legs simultaneously, aiming to touch your elbow to your knees.
Standing oblique crunch
1. Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, hands behind your head.
2. Lift your knee toward your elbow on the same side, engaging your obliques. Repeat on the other side.