Try this hearty, healthy keto dish on a big family or party night or freeze leftovers for up to three months.
It’s the low-carb taco seasoning without any of the flour, thickeners or straight-up sugar that can be found in commercial spice mixes. You can also customize it by dialing one ingredient down or out (such as the chili powder or cayenne) or adding some chopped jalapeno to really ramp things up.
It does help to know your audience on this one.
Taco seasoning: (makes about 1 cup)
- 4 tbs Chili powder
- 2 tbs Cumin
- 1 tbs Dried minced onion
- 1 tbs Paprika
- 1 tbs Garlic powder
- 1 tbs Smoked paprika
- 1 tbs Chipotle powder
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ground black pepper
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne
- 2 lbs Lean ground beef (can substitute ground turkey, chicken or pork)
- 4 tbs Taco seasoning
- 1 14-oz can Tomatoes with chiles
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 4 oz Cream cheese
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Low-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup Cilantro, chopped
- 1 Green Bell pepper, diced
- 1 Lime, zest and juice
- 1 tsp Salt
- Brown meat in a large skillet over medium heat until cooked through. Drain off fat/liquid.
- Add taco seasoning to skillet; mix well over medium heat.
- Add cream cheese, beef broth, diced green bell pepper, tomatoes and salt to the beef. Stir well over medium heat until the cream cheese has dissolved into the sauce.
- Add cilantro, lime juice and lime zest. Combine and transfer into a large casserole dish.
- Top with two cups of shredded Monterey Jack cheese and finish with the cheddar.
- Bake at 375º for about 10 to 15 minutes or until it is hot and bubbly and the cheese is lightly brown.
Serves 10 | Prep Time 30-35 mins