Beans are a protein powerhouse that should be a part of everyone’s diet, but particularly for those eating flexitarian or plant-based diets.
- 1 1/2 cups Refried beans
- 1 tbs Avocado oil or high-heat oil of choice
- 8 Corn tortillas
- 1–2 Avocados
- 1 head Lettuce, chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeds removed and diced
- Fresh cilantro
- Salt as needed
1. To bake tostadas, preheat an oven to 400ºF. Brush a little high-heat oil over both sides of tortillas and place on a lined baking tray.
2. Bake for 5 minutes. Flip the tortillas and bake for another 4 minutes.
3. Remove from oven and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and allow them to sit and slightly cool for 3 to 5 minutes. They will continue to harden as they cool.
4. Reheat refried beans as needed. Spread crispy tortilla with a few spoons full of refried beans, then garnish with avocado, diced tomatoes, lettuce, fresh cilantro or any other toppings as desired.
Serves 4-6 | Prep Time 20-25 mins
(if heating up canned beans)