This iconic Mediterranean side dish is characterized by very finely chopped ingredients, especially parsley, to go with the bulgur, which is more of a background ingredient than in some recipes.
- ½ cup Bulgur wheat, extra fine; coarse will need to soak longer, up to 45 minutes
- 4 Roma tomatoes, firm very finely chopped
- 1 English cucumber (hothouse cucumber), very finely chopped
- 2 bunches Parsley, part of stems removed, washed, well-dried, very finely chopped
- 12-15 Mint leaves, fresh, stems removed, washed, well-dried, very finely chopped
- 4 Green onions, white and green parts, very finely chopped
- 3-4 tbs Lime juice (or lemon juice, if preferred)
- 3-4 tbs Extra virgin olive oil
- Romaine lettuce leaves to serve, optional
- Wash the bulgur wheat and soak it in water for 5-7 minute. Drain very well (squeeze the bulgur wheat by hand to get rid of any excess water). Set aside.
- Very finely chop the vegetables, herbs and green onions as indicated above. Be sure to place the tomatoes in a colander to drain excess juice.
- Place the chopped vegetables, herbs and green onions in a mixing bowl or dish. Add the bulgur and season with salt. Mix gently.
- Now add the lime juice and olive oil and mix again.
- For best results, cover the tabouli and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter. If you like, serve the tabouli with a side of pita and romaine lettuce leaves, which act as wraps or “boats” for the tabouli.
Serves 6-8 | Prep Time 20 – 35 min