You don’t often see sweet potatoes and pesto in the same recipe, but once you try this you’ll be astonished how well they pair together. The garlic and basil is in this case coating shredded chicken breast that is then piled into the middle of a sliced sweet spud, where its savoriness is spectacularly showcased.
- 1 cup Walnuts, raw and shelled
- 4-5 cloves Garlic
- 3 cups Basil leaves, fresh
- 2 cups Spinach, kale or other leafy greens, fresh
- 2/3 cup Olive oil, light
- 1 1/2-2 tbs Lemon juice, fresh
- 2 tbs Nutritional yeast
- 3/4 tsp Sea salt or to taste
- 3 cups Chicken breast, cooked shredded or about 1 lb uncooked
- 6 med Sweet potatoes
- Coconut oil and salt for baking
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Coat the sweet potatoes with a bit of coconut oil and sprinkle sea salt all over them. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake 60-70 minutes until soft.
2. Meanwhile, make the pesto. Combine walnuts, garlic, basil leaves, spinach, olive oil, lemon juice, nutritional yeast and salt in a blender or food processor. Blend on high speed until a paste forms, scraping the sides as needed.
3. Combine shredded chicken and pesto in a large bowl. Once potatoes are ready, cut each one lengthwise and top generously with chicken pesto mixture. Serve as-is or return to oven for a few minutes to heat through.
Serves 6 | Prep Time 60-75 mins