This is a wonderful dish to use up some of those seasonal veggies you’ve been trying to cram into your diet all in one delicious main dish!
It’s colorful enough to impress friends and family alike, and no one will even think about the “missing” potatoes!
- 2 tbs Extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 4 Shallots or 2 small sweet onions, chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1/4 cup Basil, fresh, chopped
- 2 tsp Thyme, fresh, chopped
- 5-6 Roma tomatoes or 4-5 vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced ¾-inch thick
- 2 medium Yellow squash, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 medium Zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spray a 7”x11” baking dish with nonstick spray then set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots or onions, season with salt and pepper, and then sauté until softened, about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic then sauté for 1 more minute. Add fresh basil and thyme then stir to combine. Transfer to prepared baking dish, then spread into an even layer in the bottom.
- Put sliced zucchini and yellow squash into a large bowl, then drizzle lightly with extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Layer vegetables in somewhat slanted rows until you run out of room or vegetables are used up. Season top with salt and pepper, cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Remove foil, then sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.
- Return to oven uncovered and bake until cheese is golden brown, 10-15 minutes.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Serves 6 | Prep Time 65-80 min