This easy gluten-free recipe adds a big-American-city flavor to this traditional Spanish dish (pimentos rellenos), which was especially celebrated in the Basque country.
- 4 Bell peppers, halved
- 1 tbs Vegetable oil
- 1 lg Onion, sliced
- 16 oz Cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 lb Sirloin steak, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 16 slices Provolone cheese
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper, freshly ground
- Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325°. Place peppers in large baking dish and bake until tender, approximately 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Cook until soft, about six minutes. Add steak and season with more salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for three minutes. Stir in Italian seasoning.
- Add provolone to bottom of baked peppers and top with steak mixture. Top with another piece of provolone and broil until golden, three minutes.
- Garnish with parsley before serving.
Serves 4 | Prep Time 45 min