Soup can be the meal du jour this time of year, the hotter the better! With or without the jalapeno this recipe is sure to be a winner on these busy weeknights, especially because it can be slow-cooked during the day while you’re attending to your other duties.
- 3 Chicken thighs, skin removed
- 10-oz can Diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1½ cups Black beans, cooked
- 1½ cups Chicken broth
- 1½ cups Water
- 1 Yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic, finely minced
- 1 Jalapeno, finely chopped (optional)
- ½ tsp Cumin, ground
- ½ tsp Chili powder
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 20 Tortilla chips
- 3 tbs Fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- ½ cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
1. Place chicken, tomatoes (with juice), beans, broth, water, onion, garlic, jalapeno, cumin, and chili powder in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours.
2. Uncover the slow cooker and use tongs to remove the chicken from the pot. Once cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the bones and shred, then return the meat to the pot. Stir in the lemon juice.
3. Crumble a few tortilla chips into each bowl and cover with soup. Serve sprinkled with cilantro and grated cheese.
Serves 4 | Prep Time 10 mins