Served warm or cold, this vegan dish will nourish friends and family with loads of plant protein, fiber and heart-healthy fats. Chickpeas and walnuts can be added without roasting to save time or kitchen space.
- 1 cup Dry orzo
- 1 med-lg Sweet potato peeled, cut into ½-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- ¾ lb Brussels sprouts trimmed and quartered (about 3 cups)
- 1 med Red onion, roughly chopped
- 15 oz Chickpeas, canned, drained and rinsed
- ⅔ cup Walnuts
- Drizzle of olive oil plus more for dressing
- Salt to taste
For the dressing
- ¼ cup Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs + 1 tsp Red wine vinegar
- 1 tbs Maple syrup
- ¼ tsp Dried basil
- ¼ tsp Dried oregano
- ¼ tsp Crushed red pepper
- 1 sm Garlic clove
- ¼ tsp Salt or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup Chopped fresh parsley
- ⅓ cup Dried cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 425°. Cook orzo according to the directions until al dente.
2. Place sweet potato, Brussels sprouts and red onion into a large bowl. Toss with olive oil and salt to taste. Transfer to a large nonstick rimmed baking sheet. Roast for about 20 minutes, or until the sweet potato is fork tender. Toss after 10 minutes so they cook evenly.
3. Place the chickpeas and walnuts in two separate medium bowls. Toss with a drizzle of olive oil, and salt to taste. Transfer to a small rimmed baking sheet. Place the chickpeas on one side, and the walnuts on the other. Roast with the vegetables on a lower rack.
4. Remove the walnuts from the oven after about 5 minutes or once they are golden and fragrant. Continue cooking the chickpeas until the vegetables are ready.
5. Meanwhile, add the olive oil, red wine vinegar, maple syrup, basil, oregano and crushed red pepper to a small jar with a lid. Grate the garlic into the jar using a microplane or fine grater. Add salt and pepper. Cover and shake until well combined. Set aside.
6. Transfer the orzo, sweet potato, Brussels sprouts, red onion, chickpeas and walnuts to a large bowl. Add the dressing, parsley and cranberries. Mix to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Serve warm or refrigerate for later use and enjoy as a chilled salad.
Serves 4 | Prep Time 20 mins