This paleo and gluten-free savory chicken piccata (also good for keto eating) is a one-skillet deal, perfect for weeknights and for lunch the next day. For a nut-free dish substitute almond flour with same amount of tapioca flour for a total of 5 tablespoons of tapioca flour.
- 1 ½ lb Chicken breasts (boneless/skinless), pound to 1/2” thickness
- 3 tbs Almond flour, blanched
- 2 tbs Tapioca flour
- 3 tbs Ghee, divided
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 sm Onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup Chicken bone broth
- 2 tbs Lemon juice (one lemon)
- 1/2 cup Coconut cream
- 1 1/2 tsp Stone ground mustard (optional)
- 1/4 cup Capers, drained
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Pound chicken breast to 1/2” thickness, if necessary, and cut into cutlets. Season with sea salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat a large skillet over medium/medium-high heat. In a shallow bowl, mix together the almond flour and tapioca for dredging. Add 2 tablespoons ghee to the skillet.
- Once ghee is heated, lightly dredge the chicken, one cutlet at a time, in the flour mixture, shake off excess, and place in the skillet. Cook about 4 minutes on each side. The outside should be golden brown. Remove the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and add remaining ghee. Add onions, cook for a minute until translucent, then add garlic. Cook and stir another minute until softened. Add broth and lemon juice, then raise the heat to medium and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Cook three more minutes, then stir in coconut cream and mustard (optional). Cook and stir another minute, then stir in capers. Add chicken back to skillet, lower the heat to a simmer and simmer another minute.
- Serve over sautéed cauliflower rice, veggie noodles or roasted potatoes.
Serves 6 | Prep Time 30-40 mins