This is a creamy, soothing winter soup that can be whatever you want it to be! It’s perfect for vegans and just as perfect for nonvegan paleo eaters with the switch of just a couple of ingredients.
Vegans can simply stick with olive oil and vegetable stock as frying fat and liquid, and if you’re excluding all dairy on your paleo plan you can use the olive oil as well, but use chicken stock if you prefer.
- 2 tbs Olive oil or ghee
- 1 sm Onion, diced
- 1-2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 cups Vegetable or chicken stock
- 4 cups Broccoli florets
- 1½ cups Carrots, shredded (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup Cashews, raw, soaked for 4 hours if you don’t have a high-speed blender
- 1 cup Water
- ½ tsp Mustard powder
- ½ tsp Smoked paprika
- ½ cup Nutritional yeast
- 1 tbs Lemon juice, fresh (about half a lemon)
- 1/4 cup Almond milk
- Dash Cayenne pepper
- Sea salt
- Pepper, fresh cracked
- Fresh parsley to serve (optional)
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat olive oil or ghee. Add onion and sauté until translucent, stirring often. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, about 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add stock, broccoli and carrots, then cover with a lid. Simmer about 10-15 minutes until broccoli is tender.
- In a high-speed blender or food processor, combine cashews, water, mustard powder, smoked paprika, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, almond milk and cayenne pepper. Blend at high speed until smooth. Pour mixture into broccoli mixture and stir until smooth. Add plenty of sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste. Spoon into serving bowls and top with fresh chopped parsley.
Serves 4 | Prep Time 45 mins