This quick and easy comfort food meal pleases just about everyone, even bringing back memories of childhood for some. Make it your own by adding more veggies, sausage or even pepperoni to make it a cheesy pizza pasta bake.
- 1 tbs Olive oil
- 1 cup Onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 lb Ground beef
- 1 cup Carrots, peeled and diced finely
- 2 28 oz. cans Tomatoes, crushed
- ½ tsp Oregano, dried
- ½ tsp Basil, chopped
- 1 tsp Crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 oz Pasta, elbows or small shells
- 2 ½ cups Water, boiling
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ cup Romano cheese, grated
- 1 ½ cups Mozzarella cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
2. In a large, deep skillet, cook beef until browned for about 5 minutes, crumbling into small pieces. Remove from pan and drain.
3. Wipe out the skillet, and over medium heat, add olive oil, onion and carrot and cook until soft, about 5 to 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook about 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
4. Add beef back into skillet and stir.
5. Mix in crushed tomatoes, oregano, basil, crushed red pepper and a pinch of salt and pepper. Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Add in pasta and water, cover and simmer gently until pasta is just tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
7. Remove from heat and stir in cheddar and Romano cheese and about half the mozzarella.
8. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and bake uncovered until just melted, about 5 minutes.
Serves 6-8 | Prep Time 45 mins