Carne asada is a staple of Mexican cuisine that’s naturally low carb and can be served in any number of keto-friendly ways — on a salad or in a keto bowl, on top of cauliflower nachos or almond-flour tortillas, in lettuce wraps or egg cups or whatever alternatives the endlessly inventive culinary industry comes up with!
Any type of steak will work, but flank steak is ideal for grilling and slicing. This recipe uses a cast-iron grill pan to sear the steak on the stove and then cook in the oven to replicate the flavor and texture of an outdoor grill.
- 2 lb Flank steak
- 1 m Jalapeno, minced
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup Fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 6 tbs Lime juice
- 6 tbs Olive oil
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp Sea salt
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- Whisk together all the marinade ingredients (everything except the steak) in a bowl or shake them up in a bottle.
- Place steaks in a single layer in a glass baking dish. Pour the marinade over the steaks and turn them to coat.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 to 8 hours — a longer marinating period will likely make the steak too mushy.
- Cook carne asada by searing it on a hot, oven-safe grill pan. Then, transfer the pan to a 400-degree oven until it reaches desired “doneness” (approximately 2 minutes for rare, 4 minutes for medium, 6 minutes for well done).
- Rest for 5 minutes to allow juices to soak into the steak, then slice thinly against the grain.
Serves 6 | Prep Time 7-11 mins, not including marinating