by Blayne Soriano, Level 2 CrossFit Coach and CrossFit Kids Coach
One of the most important topics around men’s health is heart disease. Taking care of your heart health should be a main priority in everyone’s life, but men specifically need to pay attention.
They tend to:
- Lack awareness
- Have inadequate health education
- Develop unhealthy work and personal habits
- Shy away from asking for help
Don’t get me wrong, anyone can be guilty of these things. But, let’s get more men paying attention. On average 1 in 3 men have heart disease. Strokes and hypertension are happening in younger men more now than ever.
When it comes to taking control of heart health, focusing on blood pressure and cholesterol levels is a good start. Nutritional habits and regular exercise are the foundation of heart health.
Men, eat more greens! Try and add the rainbow color of vegetables in your daily diet. Also:
- Show up to workout 3 to 4 times a week to start.
- Cut back on poor decision making when it comes to over eating, not eating all day then consuming the wrong foods, drinking, smoking and not hitting the gym.
- Try and reach out to someone who can mentor you or guide you in the right direction.
I recommend visiting your doctor to get some blood work to be fully aware of what’s going on, on the inside of your body!
Your heart matters.