This zesty, healthy chicken salad combines low-fat chicken breast with healthy unsaturated fat from avocados and olive oil and a simple but zingy lime-infused dressing.
Cooking the meat fresh is ideal, but to save time you can use a rotisserie chicken or leftovers to jumpstart a hearty lunch everyone will enjoy!
- 1/2 lb Chicken breast, boneless, skinless
- 1 tbs Olive oil, extra virgin
- 1/2 tsp Salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp Onion powder
- 1/4 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp Ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp Chili powder
- 1/8 tsp Oregano
- Juice of 1/2 lime
Lime juice dressing
- 3 tbs Lime juice
- 2 tbs Olive oil, extra virgin
- 1/4 tsp Salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- Crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 English cucumber, diced
- 1 cup Cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 med Red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 med Avocado, pitted, peeled, diced
- Cilantro or parsley
1. Combine all chicken seasonings and 1 tablespoon of olive oil into a mixing bowl or resealable bag. Add chicken breast and toss to coat.
2. In the meantime, heat a nonstick grill pan or large skillet over medium heat brushed with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
3. Once the pan is heated, add chicken breast and cook on each side approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from pan to a plate and allow to cool.
4. While chicken cooks, combine ingredients for the lime dressing into a small mixing bowl. Whisk well to combine.
5. Once the chicken breast has cooled, cut into small cubes. Combine in a large bowl with the ingredients for the salad (cucumber, tomatoes, red onion and avocado).
6. RDrizzle the lime juice dressing over the top and toss well to combine. Serve the chicken avocado salad immediately or keep a few hours in the refrigerator.
Serves 4 | Prep Time 15 mins
(plus time to allow cooked chicken to cool)