This super-simple side salad is vegan and vegetarian-friendly, though it is not gluten free. The main ingredient is Israeli couscous, also sold as pearl couscous, Jerusalem couscous, or in Israel itself as ptitim. Formed in significantly larger balls than regular couscous, this is a form of pasta made from semolina or wheat flour.
- 1 cup Israeli (pearl) couscous, dry
- 15 Cherry tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 sm Cucumber, finely chopped
- 1 handful Basil leaves, fresh, finely chopped
- 10 Artichoke heart quarters
- 1/2 sm Purple onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, halved
- 1 thumb Vegan feta cheese
- 1 tsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper, ground
- Cook 1 cup of dry couscous in salted water, then drain.
- Add all the chopped veggies, fresh basil, olive oil, salt and pepper, then stir.
- Serve warm or cold.
Serves 2 | Prep Time 10 min