This recipe uses an Instant Pot or similar pressure cooker. If you prefer to use a slow cooker, sear the short ribs in a skillet and then cook the ribs for either eight hours on low or five hours on high.
- 2 lbs bone-in beef short ribs
- 2 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch green onions*, chop the white part and about 1-2 inches of the green. Discard remainder
- 2 tbs Tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup bone broth or low sodium beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ cup wWater
- 2 tbs arrowroot flour**
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh parsley, chopped — optional
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté mode. Add olive oil.
- When the oil is hot, brown the short ribs on sides, 8-10 minutes. Remove the short ribs and set aside.
- Add the green onion and minced garlic to the Instant Pot. Sauté until the onion is translucent. Stir to scrap the browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Deglaze the pot with the balsamic vinegar. Add the thyme and tomato paste. Stir to blend well. Add salt and pepper to taste (about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon).
- Add broth and bay leaves and stir well. Add the short ribs back to the pot.
- Lock the lid and set pressure on high for 60 minutes. When done, allow to natural release for 10 minutes before releasing valve and opening lid. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Remove meat carefully with tongs. Try to keep the meat on the bone.
- Remove bay leaves and discard. Pour about 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid into a small bowl. Add arrowroot and blend well. Set aside.
- Turn the Instant Pot to sauté mode. When remaining liquid is bubbling, slowly pour the arrowroot mixture back into the Instant Pot and stir until gravy thickens.
- Plate the ribs and spoon over sauce. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Serves 4 | Prep Time 90 min