This healthy huevos rancheros recipe uses lower-calorie, lower-fat feta cheese to delicious effect and is easy to make with beans, tortillas and cheese that easily can be substituted with whatever you have on hand! It’s perfect for breakfast, brunch or any other meal.
- 2 sm Tomatoes
- 1 sm Onion
- 1 med Jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic; 1 chopped, 1 smashed
- 1/2 tsp Hot sauce
- 1 tsp Cumin, ground
- 2 tbs Extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 15.5-oz can Black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 lg Eggs
- 4 Corn tortillas, 6-inch, warmed
- 1/2 cup Feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- Kosher salt
- Pepper, freshly ground
- Set a grater in a large bowl; grate tomatoes and onion into the bowl. Add jalapeno, chopped garlic, hot sauce, cumin — salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a medium skillet over low heat and add 2 teaspoons olive oil. Fry the salsa in the oil until it thickens slightly, about 3 minutes. Remove to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the beans to the same pan along with the smashed garlic, 1/2 cup warm water and a pinch of salt; cook over low heat until warmed through, crushing slightly with a fork.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in another skillet. Fry the eggs sunny side up and season with pepper.
- Place one warm tortilla on each plate. Divide beans among them, then top with a fried egg, some salsa and cheese. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with the remaining salsa.
Serves 4 | Prep Time 20 min