Almond flour and lots of zucchini make this bread not only possible but delicious; a dairy- and grain-free treat packed with the flavor, nutrients and antioxidants of the star vegetable.
Be sure you get as much of the moisture out of the zucchini before adding it to the batter so you don’t wind up with a soggy loaf.
- 3 med Zucchini, grated (2-2.5 grated cups)
- 1/2 tsp Sea or kosher salt, divided
- 2 Eggs
- 1/3 cup Coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 tsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup Coconut sugar
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 3/4 cup Almond flour
- 1/2 cup Walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup Paleo dark chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch loaf pan with 1 teaspoon solid coconut oil. Set aside.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to overnight. Serve topped with watercrGrate zucchini and place in a strainer. Sprinkle grated zucchini with 1/4 teaspoon of salt, then toss. Set aside to drain for 15 minutes.
- Place the eggs, coconut oil, vanilla and apple cider vinegar into bowl. Whisk until combined. Add coconut sugar, and whisk until combined.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in stages. Whisk in the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt, then baking soda, then cinnamon and nutmeg. Finally, whisk almond flour until just barely combined.
- Drain zucchini. Gently press down on the salted zucchini with a spatula to release as much water as possible.
- Add drained zucchini, nuts and chocolate chips to batter and gently fold with spatula until incorporated. Reserve 1 tablespoon nuts and 1 tablespoon chips for topping the bread.
- Scrape batter into prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle nuts and chips on top. Bake for 50-60 minutes until deep golden brown and springy when you press it with your finger or when a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool bread in the pan for 20 minutes, then remove and cool thoroughly on a wire rack. Slice and enjoy.
Serves 12 | Prep Time 95-105 min