by Lynell Cavner, Owner & Master Certified Bowen Practitioner, Lynell & Company
Nutrition and restful sleep are much needed to keep our bodies healthy! Nutrition is the science that interprets the interaction of nutrients in food that relate to health and disease of an organism. Our cells are made to live 100 years, but we are getting in the way with processed foods, pollution, lack of movement and lack of good sleep.
When you make your plate look attractive with colorful foods, it revs up the salivary glands and digestive juices. Serve vegetables with your meat and0 potatoes to bring color to the plate. The vegetable fiber will help digest the heavy protein and carbs that cover the rest of the plate.
If you have indigestion after eating, prickly herbs like dandelion root and barberry root warm up the digestion track like a hot yoga session.
Using food to help your body heal is a way to assist its healing power:
- If you have fluid buildup around an injury or joint, an onion/salt poultice will help pull away the fluid.
- If you have seasonal allergies, eating raisins soaked in gin may give you relief.
- If you have leg cramps at night, eating French’s yellow mustard will take care of that.
- If you have low blood pressure, eat a dill pickle.
- If you just finished a strenuous workout or hike, soak your feet in ginger water. It draws out lactic acid so you won’t get so sore.
- The enzyme in fresh pineapple helps the body break down plaque, eating pineapple can lower cholesterol.
I was labeled “the picnic doctor” by one of my clients because of these simple food recommendations. Not a fan of labels, I took a liking to this one!
Sleep deprivation is the new smoking. There is a strong correlation between internet use and negative sleep issues. Fear also is a culprit in insomnia; it is part of your subconscious, and your body is looking for a way to get rid of it — and that keeps you up at night.
About 20% of adults use sleep aides (OTC and prescription). These can be dangerous and habitual. If you want to make a change, get off the devices at least an hour before bedtime, have your nervous system balanced to maintain
rest and restore, and rid your mind/body of what no longer serves you.