With layers of cheese and marinara surrounding the slices, this gluten-free eggplant lasagna makes a great vegetarian dinner any night of the week.
1 lg Eggplant (2 small), ideally on the longer, skinnier end of the spectrum
2 tbs Olive oil
2 tsp Sea salt
1 25-oz jar Marinara sauce with garlic
1 8 oz pkg Thick-cut cheese slices
1/4 cup Basil leaves fresh
Red pepper flakes, as desired
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Cut top of eggplant. Slice horizontally into 1/2 inch-thick slices. Toss with salt and let sit while oven heats up. After sitting for 30 minutes, pat eggplant dry with paper towels.
- Arrange eggplant slices flat on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Drizzle 4with olive oil. Bake 15 minutes.
- In a shallow baking dish, spread about 1/2 cup marinara sauce on the bottom. Nestle eggplant slices into pan; it’s OK for them to be touching.
- Put a dollop of marinara sauce onto each eggplant slice. Top with torn cheese slices, then a leaf of basil. Top each stack with another eggplant slice, then spread about 1 cup of sauce over the entire dish. Top with more torn cheese slices, to cover the dish.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until dish is bubbling and cheese is golden brown. Remove from oven and top with more basil and red pepper flakes.
Serves 4 | Prep Time 75 mins