This one-pot chowder is the ultimate comfort food on a chilly evening. It’s also gluten- and dairy-free (if you use the cashew cream option) for a completely guilt-free chowder.
- 1 pkg Nitrate-free bacon
- 1 lb Deveined shrimp
- 1 Onion, minced
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 3 Yukon potatoes, diced
- 2 Celery ribs, diced
- 2 Carrots, minced
- 1/4 tsp Sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp Dried thyme
- 4 cups Chicken stock
- 1 cup Fresh or frozen corn, thawed and cooked
- 1/4 cup Heavy cream or cashew cream
- 1 tbs Fresh parsley, for garnish
- 1 sprig Fresh thyme, for garnish
- 1 tbs Scallions, for garnish
- Heat a large stockpot or soup pot over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until crispy, around 5-8 minutes. Turn off heat and place bacon on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Drain all but 1 tablespoon of bacon fat out of the pan. Turn heat to medium-high and cook shrimp for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until pink and fully cooked through. Transfer to another plate lined with paper towels and drain remaining liquid out of the pot.
- Place garlic and onion into the pot. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until onions start to turn clear. Add potato, celery and carrots to the pot. Cook until potato starts to soften. Then add spices. Cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Pour in chicken stock and stir well, making sure to scrape up all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once at a boil, add corn and turn down heat and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Whisk in cream of choice. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Serve with roughly chopped shrimp, bacon pieces, parsley, thyme and scallions.
Serves 6 | Prep Time 20-25 min