by Bailey Zygutis, Nutritionist, Vitruvian Fitness (photo by Bailey Zygutis)
We’ve still got a little bit of summer left in Prescott, so here’s a light, low-carb salad from delicious, nutritious ingredients to keep you refreshed and energized!
- 1 Mini cucumber
- 1½ cups Baby spinach
- 1 can Tuna (in water, strained)
- 2 tbs Dijon mustard
- 1 tbs Capers
- 1 tbs Olive oil
- 1 tbs Balsamic vinegar
- Pink salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Drain tuna, mix in mustard and capers.
- Chop spinach and add to bowl.
- Slice cucumber into 1/4-inch thick slices and add to bowl.
- Top with tuna mixture.
- Drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar, add salt and pepper to taste, and enjoy!
Serves 1 | Prep Time 10 min
More info: www.thevitruvianway.com
Food for Thought
Spinach is high in folate, also known as B9, a powerful nutrient responsible for many bodily functions, including cell growth and DNA repair. Folate is especially important for pregnant women, as it plays a critical role in fetal development.
Other veggies high in folate include dark kale, collard greens and asparagus.